- Position: a well lit place with some direct sun
- Soil: fertile: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 45cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.In time this plant will grow to around 2m or more. It is an interesting-looking plant with a bulb-like base that holds onto water (which means you don't need to water it very often), with a topknot of slender leaves that cascade around the stem. This pony tail palm does not need humid air, so copes well with centrally heated rooms.
- Home care: Water well, making sure the excess water drains away freely. These plants dislike overwatering, so let the compost get quite dry before repeating the process again. Repot only when necessary, using a pot only a few centimetres wider than the bulbous base. Air temperatures should not dip below 7°C in winter.